IOM - The UN Migration Agency
IOM is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society.
As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to:
- Assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management.
- Advance understanding of migration issues.
- Encourage social and economic development through migration.
- Uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
The Coordination Office for the Mediterranean
There are specific geographic areas under the administration of Regional Offices. These offices have the additional responsibility of ensuring that migratory realities within a defined cluster of countries are taken into account in programmatic activities of the region.
Currently, there are five Country Offices with Coordinating Functions:
- Rome, Italy, covering the Mediterranean;
- Astana, Kazakhstan, covering Central Asia;
- Bangkok, Thailand, within the Regional Office in Bangkok covering South Asia;
- Canberra, Australia, covering the Pacific;
- Georgetown, Guyana, covering the Caribbean.